Wednesday 27 August 2014

Pride


I went to Pride for the first time last summer in Calgary...

Memories...
Which was super fun (I think Connie is still jealous I got to meet Nenshi). So when Jordan mentioned to me that her and Maya were heading to Pride that weekend, I was super excited (I had no idea it was happening - I'm not super good at finding out stuff like this).


We met for Starbucks before heading up to the Royal Mile to wait for the parade. Scotland's first Pride was organized in 1994, and thereafter has alternated between being hosted in Edinburgh and Glasgow.  


It was definitely very different from Calgary Pride. Calgary's parade isn't even that big, certainly when compared to Toronto or Vancouver, but it was still a lot bigger than Edinburgh's. While Calgary pride contained a lot of floats and organizations, Edinburgh's had a lot more people on feet, as well as just a lot more random people walking down the street. While Caitlyn and I had to get downtown early to get a good view for Calgary Pride, the majority of the people watching  Edinburgh's parade pass seemed to be confused/delighted tourists.


However, even though it was smaller and less fancy, it was still good fun. The parade went up to the cathedral across from city hall where there was a bunch of (largely unintelligible) speeches by various politicians etc.



After that, the parade kept walking down to Edinburgh University, where there was a stage, various performers inside the student bar building, and food vendors. Again, smaller than Calgary's final Pride grounds, but still fun. 

More under the cut.




Check out my mad makeup skills. 









Best cake. Ever. 


Following this group there was an Irish boy band. It was amazing. 



I really enjoyed my eye makeup :)


2 comments: